Hellfest `08
Soze
2008-06-24 23:30:49 UTC
Back from this yesterday...I booked tickets with some trepidation as the
organisation was supposed to be shocking last year but everything was fine
apart from a couple of bands having slight sound issues ( which happens
everywhere! ) and it being too bastard hot!!

Thoughts on the bands I saw...( this could be a long post! )

Friday

Eluveitie - 8/10 - fun start to the day, 8 piece folk/death band with what
looked like two hairy assed twins running around like demented Scott Ians
playing bagpipes and penny whistles. Enjpyed this bunch a lot.

Death Angel - 9/10 - tight as fuck, great sound...docked a point for playing
3 songs off the new album in a 45 minute set...as much as I like it I`d have
liked more from The Ultra-Violence!

Septic Flesh - 7/10 - OK, came across a bit bland live.

Mayhem - 3/10 - crap last time I saw them and just as crap now...some of my
mates enjoyed them though, I guess it`s just not my thing. Gave up after 3
songs.

...heard both Danko Jones and Paradise Lost but didn`t watch them...both
were godawful...

Rotting Christ - 8/10 - Good song selection, nothing from their boring
middle years, excellent.

Dimmu Borgir - 7.5/10 - I`ve never found this lot too inspiring live but
this was a tidy performace and they didn`t have any symphonic twiddly
interludes, which is a big plus point.

Testament - 10/10 - utterly fantastic, great setlist...

Over the Wall
Into the Pit
Apocalyptic City
The New Order
More than Meets the Eye
DNR
Three Days in Darkness
Alone in the Dark
Disciples of the Watch

...just wish they`d played for longer. Absolutely perfect, really tight.
They clashed with Krisiun but I`m sure I made the right choice!

In Flames - 6/10 for first 20 minutes, 10/10 for the next hour...the sound
was flat to begin with and the mic wasn`t working properly ( something which
affected the main stage a few times ) but once that was sorted out they were
brilliant. A band at the top of their game, fantastic stage set, great
performance in front of the biggest crowd of the day. Clashed with Marduk
which was annoying but you can`t win `em all!

Carcass - 9/10 - docked a point for playing Keep on Rotting in the Free
World! Hard to believe this band haven`t played together for so long,
sounded superb and Ken Owen came on stage to give a little wave as well.

Venom - 5.5/10 - despite being the main headliners of the day they finished
the set playing to the smallest crowd I`ve ever seen at a festival. As much
as I love Venom this was a bit like watching a pub band that had stumbled
onto a big stage by mistake. The new guitarist is a bit shit, the sound was
flat and it just came across as a bit comical. It was still fun - I`ll
always enjoy watching Cronos belt out Countess Bathory etc. but a bit sad at
the same time.

Saturday

Missed Legion of the Damned, caught the tail end of Airbourne which wasn`t
my cup of tea.

Sodom - 9/10 - played almost all old stuff apart from one song off of MI6,
ideal...good stuff.

...heard Sonata Artica in the background, rubbish...

Satyricon - 6/10 - tight, professional...but boring. Almost everything was
off of later albums apart from a kick ass version of Mother North to finish
with...I`d struggled to stay with them till then in truth.

Iced Earth - 9/10 - Have to admit...much better live with Barlow than with
Ripper and he handled 10,000 Strong easily. Good mix of songs.

Haemorrhage - 8/10 - didn`t know much about this band, fairly standard
grindgore death metal stuff but a blast to watch live. I`d probably get
bored of them quick on CD though.

...heard Porcupine Tree in the background, found them very tiresome.
Candlemass I just chilled out to, couldn`t be arsed to watch, it was baking
hot. Sounded good.

Anaal Nathrakh - 5/10 - gave them 3 songs but did nothing for me, just a
wall of blast beat noise which all sounded the same. I`m obviously getting
old!

Gamma Ray - 8/10 - cheesy as fuck with a singalong to Heavy Metal Universe
but great fun. A welcome respite from the extreme metal and Ride the
Sky/Somewhere Out in Space was my golden headbanging moment of the day!

Helloween - 9/10 - a consumate professional performance with a perfect
sound, giant inflatable pumpkins and a predominately Keepers influenced set.
Docked a point for putting 3 ballads into an hour 20 min set and faffing
about for too long introducing the band members.

Impaled Nazarene - 7.5/10 - a right bunch of noisy bastards.

Belphegor - 9/10 - bad sound to begin with but kicked ass once it was
sorted...and they played my song of `08 so far to finish with ( Bondage Goat
Zombie ).

Cavalera Conspiracy 4/10 - clashed with Belphegor for the most part...as I
was walking out of the tent they were playing Chaoa AD and Troops of Doom so
I stuck with them but the next two songs were utter cock...boring ass jump
da fuck up muthfaucka stuff that Max has been boring me with for the last
decade. Back to the tent!

Sunday

Municipal Waste - 10/10 - didn`t think they`d pull off a festival but they
did...and they were clearly having as much fun as the crowd. Awesome.

Forbidden - 7.5/10 - never rated these as top tier thrash but they were
solid and entertaining live.

...Rose Tattoo...shit awful...watched some shitty band in the tent I can`t
even remember the name of just to get away from them.

Origin - 7/10 - incredibly fast, technical...impressive as fuck for a few
songs but then it became a bit dull.

...The Dillenger Escape Band and Meshuggah were the next two bands...I heard
them whilst chilling with a beer but found them both utterly appalling. This
sort of stuff goes right over my head...

Obituary - 8/10 - typical Obituary, good solid performace.

Opeth - 10/10 - I must have been in the right mood! The mic was a bit off
for the first song but a jaw dropping performance...quite awe inspiring. I
found them a bit of bore last time I saw them at a festival but this was
perfection...with a *huge* crowd watching them. Should have been one of the
headliners.

...listened to My Dying Bride...OK for a while but became an irritating
dirge.

At the Gates - 10/10 - WOW. One of those performances which leaves you a but
shell shocked at the end, absolutely amazing. The set drew heavily from SotS
( although finished with Kingdom Gone ) and was just stunning. Can`t wait to
see them again at Bloodstock.

NOFX - hilarious between song banter, seemed a fun bunch of people but the
music was of no interest to me at all.

Motorhead - 5/10 - same old same old, was quite glad when they were done to
be truthful.

Morbid Angel - 10/10 - didn`t think anyone could match ATG set but they
managed it...Sandoval was in remarkable form and they played a new song
which has me chomping at the bit to hear more. Blistering performance.

Slayer - 7/10 - A belowe par performace and a dull setlist...

Disciple
Skeleton Christ
Chemical Warfare
Ghosts of War
War Ensemble
Jihad
Eyes of the Insane
Supremist
Payback
Dead Skin Mask
Hell Awaits
South of Heaven
Reign in Blood
Mandatory Suicide
Angel of Death

...the crowd were moribund during the 3 songs in a row off of CI followed by
Payback...a bad choice. Seemed to be going through the motions a bit not
helped by a flat sound to begin with. I know Slayer are capable of so much
more...they couldn`t hold a candle to Morbid Angel and At the Gates tonight.
Araya wondered about the stage during AoD talking to a security guard and
shouting at the front of the crowd instead of singing...don`t know what was
going on. Even when the set got good it was Slayer by numbers. I still
enjoyed it but probably the worst I`ve ever seen them.
tom_w_b@juno.com
2008-06-25 01:18:06 UTC
Post by Soze
Back from this yesterday...I booked tickets with some trepidation as the
organisation was supposed to be shocking last year but everything was fine
apart from a couple of bands having slight sound issues ( which happens
everywhere! ) and it being too bastard hot!!
Thoughts on the bands I saw...( this could be a long post! )
It was a hella long post. But thanks for posting it. Glad to see
Testament killed. Not so glad to see Slayer sort of sucking.

By the way, we all hate you. Officially, like.

Tom
Monks
2008-06-25 17:18:48 UTC
"Soze" <***@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:***@mid.individual.net...
Nice write-up, sir. I wish we had shows like that here in the States. Glad
ATG, Carcass and Morbid all killed. That Slayer set looked like utter shit
though, other than the last 6 songs.
Soze
2008-06-26 16:24:27 UTC
Post by Monks
Nice write-up, sir. I wish we had shows like that here in the States. Glad
ATG, Carcass and Morbid all killed. That Slayer set looked like utter shit
though, other than the last 6 songs.
Yeah, it was the first time I`ve ever found myself somewhat bored during a
Slayer set...especially after Morbid Angel and At the Gates...both just blew
them away. It got better once the good songs kicked in but it was still very
predictable.
audiophile
2008-06-26 04:27:35 UTC
On Jun 24, 7:30 pm, "Soze" <***@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Love posts like this. Play-by-play...
Post by Soze
Eluveitie - 8/10
I find these guys pretty boring on record.
Post by Soze
Death Angel - 9/10 -
I'm already bored of Killing Season. I guess I just wish these guys
never reformed.
Post by Soze
Rotting Christ - 8/10 - Good song selection, nothing from their boring
middle years, excellent.
Never saw them. Would like to.
Post by Soze
Dimmu Borgir - 7.5/10
The only time I ever saw them was a few years ago, and they were
achingly dull.
Post by Soze
Testament - 10/10 - utterly fantastic, great setlist...
When they come to Canada, I will see them several times.
Post by Soze
Carcass - 9/10
I'm cautiously optimistic about this reformation. Carcass remains one
of my favorite DM bands, and they have high expectations to meet. But
it's likely any new album of theirs will sound more like Heartwork
than SoS, and that's just a damn shame.
Post by Soze
Venom - 5.5/10
Should have called it quits years ago.
Post by Soze
Sodom - 9/10 - played almost all old stuff apart from one song off of MI6,
ideal...good stuff.
Sodom fucking destroys live! And the new album is really good, again
you just don't have any taste :)
Post by Soze
Satyricon - 6/10
See dimmu borgir. I just don't like this type of BM much, I suppose.
Post by Soze
Iced Earth - 9/10
Overrated ;)
Post by Soze
Belphegor - 9/10 -
I like Belphegor, but they're basically an afterthought on the BM
landscape.
Post by Soze
Cavalera Conspiracy 4/10
I can't believe anyone had any hopes for this "band" whatsoever.
Post by Soze
Municipal Waste - 10/10 - didn`t think they`d pull off a festival but they
did...and they were clearly having as much fun as the crowd. Awesome.
I find this hard to believe. MW seems like a small club band
personified.
Post by Soze
Forbidden - 7.5/10 - never rated these as top tier thrash but they were
solid and entertaining live.
Was this a full reunion? Anderson, Calvert, Lociero and Bostaph?
Post by Soze
Origin - 7/10 - incredibly fast, technical...impressive as fuck for a few
songs but then it became a bit dull.
I just picked up this CD. It's quite impressive.
Post by Soze
Opeth - 10/10 - I must have been in the right mood! The mic was a bit off
for the first song but a jaw dropping performance...quite awe inspiring. I
found them a bit of bore last time I saw them at a festival but this was
perfection...with a *huge* crowd watching them. Should have been one of the
headliners.
Insert obligatory fanboy worship here.
Post by Soze
...listened to My Dying Bride...OK for a while but became an irritating
dirge.
Seeing as they only had two good albums, yeah.
Post by Soze
At the Gates - 10/10 - WOW. One of those performances which leaves you a but
shell shocked at the end, absolutely amazing. The set drew heavily from SotS
( although finished with Kingdom Gone ) and was just stunning. Can`t wait to
see them again at Bloodstock.
I know I'm in the minority, but SOTS is by far my least favorite ATG.
It's a good album, but their first three, particularly TSD, just blow
it away.

Looking forward to seeing them regardless!
Post by Soze
NOFX - hilarious between song banter, seemed a fun bunch of people but the
music was of no interest to me at all.
Because you have no taste. NOFX fucking rules.
Post by Soze
Motorhead - 5/10 - same old same old, was quite glad when they were done to
be truthful.
They haven't been good live for a long time, IMO.
Post by Soze
Morbid Angel - 10/10 - didn`t think anyone could match ATG set but they
managed it...Sandoval was in remarkable form and they played a new song
which has me chomping at the bit to hear more. Blistering performance.
Me too! I can't wait to hear what they do next.
Post by Soze
Slayer - 7/10 - A belowe par performace and a dull setlist...
If any band needs to jump on Maiden's endless "somewhere back in time"
style tours, it's Slayer.

Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?

e.
drool
Soze
2008-06-26 16:34:08 UTC
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Death Angel - 9/10 -
I'm already bored of Killing Season. I guess I just wish these guys
never reformed.
I never saw them back in the day and have done three times since the
reunion. They`re wonderful live so I`m dead chuffed that they`re back ( and
I like both the new albums anyway ).
Post by audiophile
The only time I ever saw them was a few years ago, and they were
achingly dull.
They seem to turn up at every other festival I go to...I`ve only paid to see
them as a headliner once ( and even then they were on the same bill as In
Flames and Nevermore ). I`ve been bored by them on many occassions but the
last couple of times they`ve been much better.
Post by audiophile
I'm cautiously optimistic about this reformation. Carcass remains one
of my favorite DM bands, and they have high expectations to meet. But
it's likely any new album of theirs will sound more like Heartwork
than SoS, and that's just a damn shame.
As far as I`m aware they have no plans to record a new album whatsoever. But
yes, I`m sure it`ll lean to a more melodeath sound than a grindcore one if
it did happen.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Venom - 5.5/10
Should have called it quits years ago.
Probably...although they were enormously entertaining when I saw them in
London a couple years back.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Sodom - 9/10 - played almost all old stuff apart from one song off of MI6,
ideal...good stuff.
Sodom fucking destroys live! And the new album is really good, again
you just don't have any taste :)
I don`t mind new Sodom, just find it a bit average...and they were always
the lesser of the German thrash bands IMO.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Belphegor - 9/10 -
I like Belphegor, but they're basically an afterthought on the BM
landscape.
They`re one of the few current BM bands to get me excited...
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Municipal Waste - 10/10 - didn`t think they`d pull off a festival but they
did...and they were clearly having as much fun as the crowd. Awesome.
I find this hard to believe. MW seems like a small club band
personified.
I was expecting that...they still managed to get an enormous circle pit
going and even a festival wall of death which stretched quite far back (
although this old bastard kept well out of it! ). They were fantastic and
had the crowd chortling with some of the in between song banter.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Forbidden - 7.5/10 - never rated these as top tier thrash but they were
solid and entertaining live.
Was this a full reunion? Anderson, Calvert, Lociero and Bostaph?
Anderson and Bostaph were definately there ( they were both wandering round
the festival site afterwords chatting with people, I took a photo of my mate
with Anderson )...I`m not abig enough fan to recognise the other two
although one of them had a bandana thing on so he must be fairly old :-)
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Origin - 7/10 - incredibly fast, technical...impressive as fuck for a few
songs but then it became a bit dull.
I just picked up this CD. It's quite impressive.
Technically it impresses me but I find it a chore to sit through end to end.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
NOFX - hilarious between song banter, seemed a fun bunch of people but the
music was of no interest to me at all.
Because you have no taste. NOFX fucking rules.
I don`t care for this sort of pop punk stuff at all...but they had me
laughing a lot.
Post by Soze
Slayer - 7/10 - A belowe par performace and a dull setlist...
If any band needs to jump on Maiden's endless "somewhere back in time"
style tours, it's Slayer.
Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?
It must have been noticable to them how staid the crowd were during the 3
songs from CI followed by Payback section of the set. Admittedly they played
between 0100-0215 on the final day so everyone was a bit knackered but the
place got much livelier when they launched into the old songs.
TJ Xenos
2008-06-26 19:36:04 UTC
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Death Angel - 9/10 -
I'm already bored of Killing Season. I guess I just wish these guys
never reformed.
Sign me up for that bandwagon.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Sodom - 9/10 - played almost all old stuff apart from one song off of MI6,
ideal...good stuff.
Sodom fucking destroys live! And the new album is really good, again
you just don't have any taste :)
Anyone who doesnt like sodom should be kicked out of metal.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
At the Gates - 10/10 - WOW. One of those performances which leaves you a but
shell shocked at the end, absolutely amazing. The set drew heavily from SotS
( although finished with Kingdom Gone ) and was just stunning. Can`t wait to
see them again at Bloodstock.
I know I'm in the minority, but SOTS is by far my least favorite ATG.
It's a good album, but their first three, particularly TSD, just blow
it away.
Looking forward to seeing them regardless!
Heinously overrated as a band, SOTS is borderline shit and eaily the
most overrated metal album ever.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Slayer - 7/10 - A belowe par performace and a dull setlist...
If any band needs to jump on Maiden's endless "somewhere back in time"
style tours, it's Slayer.
Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?
I wouldnt pay more than $20 to see slayer typically, but id kill
someone to see slayer play hell awaits or show no mercy in their
entirety
audiophile
2008-06-26 23:03:31 UTC
Post by TJ Xenos
Post by audiophile
I know I'm in the minority, but SOTS is by far my least favorite ATG.
It's a good album, but their first three, particularly TSD, just blow
it away.
Looking forward to seeing them regardless!
Heinously overrated as a band, SOTS is borderline shit and eaily the
most overrated metal album ever.
Wow, I could not disagree more. Sure, ATG may be somewhat overrated in
the underground (they are not the greatest band ever, although they
are one of my favorites), but they are nowhere NEAR as overrated as
shit like classic Metallica, Anthrax ... and we won't even discuss the
obvious contenders (pantera, all nu metal, blah blah).

In fact, I would go as far as to say that only SOTS could possibly be
considered overrated. TSD is an *underrated* metal album.
Post by TJ Xenos
Post by audiophile
Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?
I wouldnt pay more than $20 to see slayer typically, but id kill
someone to see slayer play hell awaits or show no mercy in their
entirety
I don't like SNM as a full album as much as most Slayer diehards. In
fact, I like DI more.

That is not to say I don't like SNM; I love it. It's just not among my
top 3 Slayer albums.

e.
haunting the usenet
Soze
2008-06-27 18:17:14 UTC
Post by audiophile
Post by TJ Xenos
Post by audiophile
Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?
I wouldnt pay more than $20 to see slayer typically, but id kill
someone to see slayer play hell awaits or show no mercy in their
entirety
I don't like SNM as a full album as much as most Slayer diehards. In
fact, I like DI more.
That is not to say I don't like SNM; I love it. It's just not among my
top 3 Slayer albums.
The Sparks are currently playing every album in their back catalogue one day
after another in London...I`d love to see bands like Slayer and Maiden do
something similar. Slayer could get through SNM, HTC and HA in one night,
RIB and SOH the next and Seasons and DI the third. I`d go to every night for
sure!
tom_w_b@juno.com
2008-06-26 21:57:51 UTC
Post by audiophile
Love posts like this. Play-by-play...
I didn't have time to go through every band he mentioned. Some I
just don't care for.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Death Angel - 9/10 -
I'm already bored of Killing Season. I guess I just wish these guys
never reformed.
Maybe they'll go away after this and make you happy.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Testament - 10/10 - utterly fantastic, great setlist...
When they come to Canada, I will see them several times.
Would love to get to see them once, let alone several times.
Doubtful they'll play my neck of the woods.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Forbidden - 7.5/10 - never rated these as top tier thrash but they were
solid and entertaining live.
Was this a full reunion? Anderson, Calvert, Lociero and Bostaph?
Loved them back in the day.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Origin - 7/10 - incredibly fast, technical...impressive as fuck for a few
songs but then it became a bit dull.
I just picked up this CD. It's quite impressive.
I've managed 4 listens. It is one more than I've done for JP-Nostra.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
Opeth - 10/10 - I must have been in the right mood! The mic was a bit off
for the first song but a jaw dropping performance...quite awe inspiring. I
found them a bit of bore last time I saw them at a festival but this was
perfection...with a *huge* crowd watching them. Should have been one of the
headliners.
Insert obligatory fanboy worship here.
But of course.
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
...listened to My Dying Bride...OK for a while but became an irritating
dirge.
Seeing as they only had two good albums, yeah.
Turn Loose the Swans and Trinity?
Post by audiophile
If any band needs to jump on Maiden's endless "somewhere back in time"
style tours, it's Slayer.
Who wouldn't kill to see Hell Awaits played in its entirety?
e.
--
drool
They already did the RiB whole album tour.

Tom

Good to see you still can post.
audiophile
2008-06-26 23:05:35 UTC
Post by ***@juno.com
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
...listened to My Dying Bride...OK for a while but became an irritating
dirge.
Seeing as they only had two good albums, yeah.
Turn Loose the Swans and Trinity?
Flower and Swans. Trinity is a collection of EPs.

e.
the rest is shit
tom_w_b@juno.com
2008-06-28 12:28:40 UTC
Post by audiophile
Post by ***@juno.com
Post by audiophile
Post by Soze
...listened to My Dying Bride...OK for a while but became an irritating
dirge.
Seeing as they only had two good albums, yeah.
Turn Loose the Swans and Trinity?
Flower and Swans. Trinity is a collection of EPs.
e.
--
the rest is shit
Trinity is long enough to be a stand alone album. I always listen to
it that way, anyway.
Thinking of ordering Swans soon. The new release schedule has dried up
a bit. (nothing I want the next couple weeks)

Tom
John
2008-06-28 02:04:24 UTC
Why can't we get these shows over here? Hell, the closest we get is
Slobfest which is a joke!

Glad to see Testament kicked it, disapointed about Slayer but then again,
their shows seem to be by the numbers lately.
Airbourne would've been fun, Motorhead 5/10!, disapointing, Very glad to
see Helloween still have it.
John
BrutalNoodle
2008-07-02 22:28:27 UTC
[...]