best solo
Picasso
2008-02-02 12:10:57 UTC
What is the best solo on any maiden song...

I'm trying to find something that stacks up against the solo in Judas
Priests Painkiller

Nonetheless, maiden is still my favorite band
Scall5
Scall5
audiophile
2008-02-03 06:47:51 UTC
Post by Scall5
Post by Picasso
What is the best solo on any maiden song...
I'm trying to find something that stacks up against the solo in Judas
Priests Painkiller
Nonetheless, maiden is still my favorite band
Aces High?
--
Scall5
Trying to compare the solos as virtuoso showpieces is kinda ludicrous,
as Glen and KK totally blow Maiden's guitarists away on that front.

But Maiden has plenty of really memorable solos, regardless of how
"technical" they are.

Gers' solos, like his playing, are useless.

e.
opinionated much?
White Spirit
2008-02-05 12:59:44 UTC
Post by audiophile
Post by Picasso
What is the best solo on any maiden song...
I'm trying to find something that stacks up against the solo in Judas
Priests Painkiller
Nonetheless, maiden is still my favorite band
Trying to compare the solos as virtuoso showpieces is kinda ludicrous,
as Glen and KK totally blow Maiden's guitarists away on that front.
It's interesting to hear people say that because I've never really rated
Judas Priest's solos, particularly the ones on Painkiller. I find the
solos on that album, while technically competent, seem a bit too over
the top and lack purpose. It's like they set out to try and impress.

I say technically competent (as opposed to possessing virtuosity)
because they sound like they were done in various takes and patched
together, whereas Maiden's solos sound like they use the best take. (I
know Janick Gers insists on doing his solos in one take.) It's not that
difficult to patch together a solo from different segments, and I don't
really rate guitarists who do that. (I don't know for sure that's what
Priest did on that album but it sounds that way. Also, with the live
stuff I've heard from Painkiller, the solos weren't played at anywhere
near the same level).

Maiden's solos (generally) always fit the song perfectly, often
complementing the song by telling their own story, as it were. That's a
rare trait that you don't get with true virtuosos (like Yngwie
Malmsteen, perhaps, who is incredibly boring after 30 seconds).

If I had to pick a few solos to compare to the ones on Painkiller, I'd
choose Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great, Seventh Son and Ghost of
the Navigator (because I really like that one).
Post by audiophile
But Maiden has plenty of really memorable solos, regardless of how
"technical" they are.
Adrian in particular has really interesting timing and choice of notes.
You can practice tapping, sweep picking and all the modern 'shred'
techniques but having something natural that is part of your playing is
worth far more than all the technical prowess in the world, imo. I
think that's why I didn't like the soloing on Painkiller all that much -
they went too far into the clinical realm of technique over substance.
I really like Janick Gers :)
t***@juno.com
2008-02-05 23:36:31 UTC
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:59:44 +0000, White Spirit
Post by White Spirit
Maiden's solos (generally) always fit the song perfectly, often
complementing the song by telling their own story, as it were. That's a
rare trait that you don't get with true virtuosos (like Yngwie
Malmsteen, perhaps, who is incredibly boring after 30 seconds).
30? It takes you that long?

Tom
White Spirit
2008-02-06 00:00:26 UTC
Post by White Spirit
Maiden's solos (generally) always fit the song perfectly, often
complementing the song by telling their own story, as it were. That's a
rare trait that you don't get with true virtuosos (like Yngwie
Malmsteen, perhaps, who is incredibly boring after 30 seconds).
30? It takes you that long?
Heheh, yeah. His tone requires at least 20 seconds of appreciation.
Anything more is subject to user discretion.
t***@juno.com
2008-02-06 00:03:44 UTC
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:00:26 +0000, White Spirit
Post by White Spirit
Post by t***@juno.com
Post by White Spirit
Maiden's solos (generally) always fit the song perfectly, often
complementing the song by telling their own story, as it were. That's a
rare trait that you don't get with true virtuosos (like Yngwie
Malmsteen, perhaps, who is incredibly boring after 30 seconds).
30? It takes you that long?
Heheh, yeah. His tone requires at least 20 seconds of appreciation.
Anything more is subject to user discretion.
By tone, do you mean his on a jet persona or his guitars sound while
playing?

Tom
Shiflet
2008-02-06 00:21:01 UTC
Post by t***@juno.com
By tone, do you mean his on a jet persona
LOL, "you've unleashed the foookin fury"!
Tom
t***@juno.com
2008-02-06 23:48:48 UTC
Post by Shiflet
Post by t***@juno.com
By tone, do you mean his on a jet persona
LOL, "you've unleashed the foookin fury"!
That would not be a "good" tone.

Tom

Scall5
2008-02-06 00:28:57 UTC
Post by White Spirit
Post by Picasso
What is the best solo on any maiden song...
I'm trying to find something that stacks up against the solo in Judas
Priests Painkiller
Nonetheless, maiden is still my favorite band
[Some great points snipped.]
Post by White Spirit
Maiden's solos (generally) always fit the song perfectly, often
complementing the song by telling their own story, as it were. That's a
rare trait that you don't get with true virtuosos (like Yngwie Malmsteen,
perhaps, who is incredibly boring after 30 seconds).
I agree with you there. That's why I mentioned Aces High- when listening I
can almost see the planes "rolling, turning, diving, and doing it again"
just from the notes of the solo. Superb stuff.
Scall5
Picasso
2008-02-06 12:58:50 UTC
Post by White Spirit
Post by audiophile
Post by Picasso
[...]
I would never say Maiden has no memorable solo's, countless times a solo
pops in to my head at work or driving around and its most of the time
maiden... generally because i'm so puzzled about how to even begin to
play them! Maiden songs are almost all a big solo... throwing little
licks in here and there... love it! Anyone who would say maiden is
boring listening must have the volume down!

I can't pinpoint any maiden solo that doesn't flow so well with the song.

I just picked out painkiller because that, like many megadeth solo's,
slaps you right in the face, makes you want to grab your axe and figure
the damn thing out... then after 4 hours get frustrated and go play
something else ;P
Anders
2008-02-03 17:39:22 UTC
Post by Picasso
What is the best solo on any maiden song...
IŽd say the long solo in the end of "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son".

-Anders