Question
Lukan
2008-03-14 20:09:10 UTC
How do band finances work when members come and go? Typically in big
bands if someone leaves they find a replacement but that person is put
on a salary, they don't become a partner in the band with any ownership.

Is Gers on a salary? Did Adrian and Bruce go on a salary when they
rejoined?
John
2008-03-14 20:58:02 UTC
I don't know from experience, but I've always assumed that any money
generated from CD sales would be split amongst the band members based on
how much of a contribution each made to the album. That is, if most of
the songs on an album were written by only 1 band member, that member
would get a larger cut of the profits. For concerts, I'm not sure - each
member would of course contribute an equal amount of playing, but would
their "salary" vary depending on the setlist?
rejoined?
Lukan
2008-03-16 08:18:24 UTC
Post by John
I don't know from experience, but I've always assumed that any money
generated from CD sales would be split amongst the band members based on
how much of a contribution each made to the album. That is, if most of
the songs on an album were written by only 1 band member, that member
would get a larger cut of the profits. For concerts, I'm not sure - each
member would of course contribute an equal amount of playing, but would
their "salary" vary depending on the setlist?
Of course it wouldn't.

Like I said before typically replacement members are put on a salary, ie
"We want you in the band. We'll give you $200,000 a year plus medical
cover. You're not allowed to play music with anyone else. Sign here".

Either that or if Steve was super kind when band members join they would
be made a business partner, in which case they would get an equal share
of the profits. I just can't imagine this happening though, even in the
case of Adrian and Bruce returning.

Anyone know??
AgentAlbert
2008-03-16 09:13:07 UTC
Post by Lukan
Post by John
I don't know from experience, but I've always assumed that any money
generated from CD sales would be split amongst the band members based on how
much of a contribution each made to the album. That is, if most of the songs
on an album were written by only 1 band member, that member would get a
larger cut of the profits. For concerts, I'm not sure - each member would of
course contribute an equal amount of playing, but would their "salary" vary
depending on the setlist?
Of course it wouldn't.
Like I said before typically replacement members are put on a salary, ie "We
want you in the band. We'll give you $200,000 a year plus medical cover.
You're not allowed to play music with anyone else. Sign here".
There is probably some variance depending on the number of shows played, though,
don't you think? A lot of times tours get extended, or extra shows get added to
off days. I'm sure there are a million ways to structure a contract, but I would
expect that the norm isn't that once a salary is established, the band can
schedule as much as they want without additional cost.