Rebirth
RICK scampiliano
2009-06-06 17:29:56 UTC
It's nice to see some posts on here, even if it is only 3. I know
Usenet is a dying medium, but I always wondered why some groups die
while others are still active.
Up the Irons!
Stephen O'Connell
2009-06-06 18:09:13 UTC
Post by RICK scampiliano
It's nice to see some posts on here, even if it is only 3. I know
Usenet is a dying medium, but I always wondered why some groups die
while others are still active.
Up the Irons!
Usenet on the whole has given way to web forums mainly, of which their
are quiet a few Iron Maiden ones. I was surprised that Flight 666 didn't
get a mention here when the movie actually came out in the UK, but this
group is fairly inactive these days. I went out and bought the DVD
anyway when that was released. And yes, it is a must have for any Maiden
fan.
Soze
2009-06-06 19:48:39 UTC
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by RICK scampiliano
It's nice to see some posts on here, even if it is only 3. I know
Usenet is a dying medium, but I always wondered why some groups die
while others are still active.
Up the Irons!
Usenet on the whole has given way to web forums mainly, of which their
are quiet a few Iron Maiden ones. I was surprised that Flight 666 didn't
get a mention here when the movie actually came out in the UK, but this
group is fairly inactive these days. I went out and bought the DVD
anyway when that was released. And yes, it is a must have for any Maiden
fan.
I post quite regularly on the Priest and Slayer groups as although there are
only half a dozen or so regular posters they all post quite often. This
place has been deserted for ages...as has the Metallica one.
John
2009-06-07 20:54:37 UTC
Its unfortunate, even last year during the tour this ng was sloooooowwwwww
Like you said, good to see posting in here.

John
Stephen O'Connell
2009-06-08 18:08:27 UTC
Post by John
Its unfortunate, even last year during the tour this ng was
sloooooowwwwww Like you said, good to see posting in here.
I can't see it being much of a rebirth though! This groups is fairly
moribund.
RICK scampiliano
2009-06-08 20:05:20 UTC
Post by Stephen O'Connell
I can't see it being much of a rebirth
though! This groups is fairly moribund.
True, but....
At least on my "newsreader(?)" it went from 0 postings to 3 postings
last week! It came back from the dead!

How 'bout we call it an accident of rebirth?
a***@gmail.com
2009-06-09 02:46:46 UTC
Post by Stephen O'Connell
 Its unfortunate, even last year during the tour this ng was
sloooooowwwwww Like you said, good to see posting in here.
I can't see it being much of a rebirth though! This groups is fairly
moribund.
Well here you go.

The three post-reunion albums are sheer, bloated mediocrity.

Discuss ;)

e.
<halo>
Stephen O'Connell
2009-06-09 07:40:38 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by John
Its unfortunate, even last year during the tour this ng was
sloooooowwwwww Like you said, good to see posting in here.
I can't see it being much of a rebirth though! This groups is fairly
moribund.
Well here you go.
The three post-reunion albums are sheer, bloated mediocrity.
What about the pre-reunion albums so? Is 'No Prayer For The Dying'
better than 'A Matter of Life and Death'? Not IMHO anyway.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Discuss ;)
Actually, I liked them all. They were a big improvement over the two
efforts with Blaze wasn't they? Sure, they wasn't revolutionary with
every track a classic Maiden cut. But it's been a long time since I
listened to an album where every track on it was decent. All bands have
filler tracks. However for me, the last three Maiden studio albums are
certainly better than the last three Metallica [studio] albums! So I'm
happy with Maiden's recent output.
Soze
2009-06-09 16:20:59 UTC
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by John
Its unfortunate, even last year during the tour this ng was
sloooooowwwwww Like you said, good to see posting in here.
I can't see it being much of a rebirth though! This groups is fairly
moribund.
Well here you go.
The three post-reunion albums are sheer, bloated mediocrity.
What about the pre-reunion albums so? Is 'No Prayer For The Dying'
better than 'A Matter of Life and Death'? Not IMHO anyway.
No Prayer is my least favourite Maiden album, I probably prefer the 2 Blaze
albums to it tbh.
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by a***@gmail.com
Discuss ;)
Actually, I liked them all. They were a big improvement over the two
efforts with Blaze wasn't they? Sure, they wasn't revolutionary with
every track a classic Maiden cut. But it's been a long time since I
listened to an album where every track on it was decent. All bands have
filler tracks. However for me, the last three Maiden studio albums are
certainly better than the last three Metallica [studio] albums! So I'm
happy with Maiden's recent output.
I thought BNW was a brilliant album...it far surpassed my expectations. It`d
probably be amongst my top albums of this century so far in fact. DoD
certainly had it`s share of filler but then it also had bona fide classics
such as Paschendale, Rainmaker and the title track. AMoLaD is let down by
the production but is overall a strong work. Only the lead single and the
penultimate track are weak spots for me...and even then they`re both
listenable.

e has always professed his preference for Maiden`s more in your face punkier
style from the early 80`s so the fact they`re writing longer, more
progressive songs is bound to leave him cold. I do think they overdo the
slow intros at times nowadays but for a band in it`s fourth decade of
recorded material I think they`re ageing better than most!
Stephen O'Connell
2009-06-09 17:52:15 UTC
Post by Soze
e has always professed his preference for Maiden`s more in your face
punkier style from the early 80`s so the fact they`re writing longer,
more progressive songs is bound to leave him cold. I do think they
overdo the slow intros at times nowadays but for a band in it`s
fourth decade of recorded material I think they`re ageing better than
most!
Maiden still rock anyway, and that's all I can ask of any band. Going to
see them live is always an entertaining experience, unlike watching some
other bands.
audiophile
2009-06-13 22:25:13 UTC
Post by Stephen O'Connell
Post by Soze
e has always professed his preference for Maiden`s more in your face
punkier style from the early 80`s so the fact they`re writing longer,
more progressive songs is bound to leave him cold. I do think they
overdo the slow intros at times nowadays but for a band in it`s
fourth decade of recorded material I think they`re ageing better than
most!
Maiden still rock anyway, and that's all I can ask of any band. Going to
see them live is always an entertaining experience, unlike watching some
other bands.
I think that's precisely my problem with new maiden. It does not rock
at *all* - it meanders.

Although Ian is partially correct in that the first two are my
favorite albums, I love the shit out of NOTB and Powerslave, and Rime
is like 900 minutes long. My favorite song from POM is Dune, and
Phantom of the Opera is my favorite song of theirs period, so it's not
like I hate all their epics.

I just don't think their new songs are anything special. They're not
epic at all - they are bloated rock songs. As if they took FOTD tracks
and stretched them by 1-3 minutes each.

e.
that'll get ian going!
RICK scampiliano
2009-06-15 01:31:00 UTC
Post by audiophile
I just don't think their new songs are
anything special. They're not epic at all -
they are bloated rock songs.
With the exception of a few weak spots on BNW & DOD, I think the last 3
albums have been pretty damn good, and at times, rather excellent.
I personally enjoy the new more progressive sound the band has evolved
into. Sure I preferred the "fire and brimstone", hungry and aggressive
sound of the early to mid eighties, but these aren't angry young men any
more.
As for the music being "bloated", I kind of see where people are coming
from on certain songs, but the way I look at is, even though a song like
"For the Greater Good of God" may be 2-3 minutes too long, it doesn't
negate the fact that there still 7 great minutes in there.
Stephen O'Connell
2009-06-15 13:31:13 UTC
Post by RICK scampiliano
Post by audiophile
I just don't think their new songs are
anything special. They're not epic at all -
they are bloated rock songs.
With the exception of a few weak spots on BNW & DOD, I think the last
3 albums have been pretty damn good, and at times, rather excellent.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Apart from a couple of duds (filler) on each
album, the were fairly good albums. Not in the NOTB, Powerslave or
Piece of Mind category mind you, but still good in their own right...
and a big improvement on the stuff that they did with Blaze Bayley.
Post by RICK scampiliano
I personally enjoy the new more progressive sound the band has evolved
into. Sure I preferred the "fire and brimstone", hungry and aggressive
sound of the early to mid eighties, but these aren't angry young men
any more.
They are grumpy old fuckers! But good at what they do, especially live.
Post by RICK scampiliano
As for the music being "bloated", I kind of see where people are
coming from on certain songs, but the way I look at is, even though a
song like "For the Greater Good of God" may be 2-3 minutes too long,
it doesn't negate the fact that there still 7 great minutes in there.
A lot of bands do the long stuff, and it can get a bit tedious. Some
songs work like that, others don't. (Metallica have done 7 minute songs
for years.) "For the Greater Good of God" I wouldn't be too keen on, but
"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is brilliant!
audiophile

Glenn
2009-06-11 11:02:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Well here you go.
The three post-reunion albums are sheer, bloated mediocrity.
Discuss ;)
heh heh, you were never short of a fairly direct opinion, but at least
more sufferable than Shiflet who lives his in own little world where
things either totally rule or are total rubbish.

I'll bite...

BNW = Fantastic, great sound, and great songs except one (The
Mercenary).
DOD & AMOLAD = Totally agree with Soze's comments in this thread about
these ones, and BNW as well for that matter.

Also pretty much totally agree with Stephen's commetns... BNW and
AMOLAD have great consistency, and also damn good quality compared to
other long running metal bands. OK they may not seem as brilliant as
the golden era material, but there's not too many bands that have been
going near on 30 years where the newer stuff is up to the earlier
classic stuff.

Lastly to pick up on Soze's comment "I do think they overdo the slow
intros at times nowadays", it was interesting and amusing that in the
Flight 666 doco that this sort of criticism (which I think is fair)
was specifically addressed in the segment with Kevin Shirley. It was
obviously a planned response to people's comments over a number of
years now.