August 17- The Final Frontier
RICK scampiliano
2010-08-15 13:05:03 UTC
Well, the title says it all, go buy the new album.
I figure a dozen people(optimistically) will read this post. If half of
those people buy the album that might just be enough to push it over the
top; US Billboard #1 !!!!!

Actually, a top 5 chart position is very realistic. Spread the word
every body.
Judas Priest Fanatic
2010-08-16 04:19:18 UTC
Post by RICK scampiliano
Well, the title says it all, go buy the new album.
I figure a dozen people(optimistically) will read this post. If half of
those people buy the album that might just be enough to push it over the
top; US Billboard #1 !!!!!
Actually, a top 5 chart position is very realistic. Spread the word
every body.
I'm planning on getting in first thing Tues, but I fear it will be
like the last four albums (snoozefest!). I prefer the older stuff with
more energy. THAT was Maiden for me. I just can't get into this "prog-
rock" thing they're doing.
White Spirit
2010-08-16 17:01:18 UTC
Post by RICK scampiliano
Well, the title says it all, go buy the new album.
I figure a dozen people(optimistically) will read this post. If half of
those people buy the album that might just be enough to push it over the
top; US Billboard #1 !!!!!
Actually, a top 5 chart position is very realistic. Spread the word
every body.
I bought my copy today. I like it very much. The only thing I don't
like about recent Maiden albums is the amount of compression that is
used in mixing and mastering. The last three albums have sounded too
'squashed' and lacking in dynamics. Their albums deserve better than
that, particularly the more atmospheric tracks.
Giorgos Tzampanakis
2010-08-19 20:20:49 UTC
Post by White Spirit
I bought my copy today. I like it very much. The only
thing I don't like about recent Maiden albums is the amount
of compression that is used in mixing and mastering. The
last three albums have sounded too 'squashed' and lacking in
dynamics. Their albums deserve better than that,
particularly the more atmospheric tracks.
You're right about Dance of Death, but the last two are not over-
compressed at all. Probably the opposite.
Yama
2010-08-19 21:06:17 UTC
Giorgos Tzampanakis <***@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
: White Spirit <***@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in
: news:i4bqsb$7n9$***@news.eternal-september.org:
: > I bought my copy today. I like it very much. The only
: > thing I don't like about recent Maiden albums is the amount
: > of compression that is used in mixing and mastering. The
: > last three albums have sounded too 'squashed' and lacking in
: > dynamics. Their albums deserve better than that,
: > particularly the more atmospheric tracks.

: You're right about Dance of Death, but the last two are not over-
: compressed at all. Probably the opposite.

Yeah, if anything, last two Maiden albums have more dynamic range
than most releases these days...their production isn't the greatest,
but problems are elsewhere.

If Martin Birch was still active today, he would fall victim to the
Loudness War, just like everyone else...
White Spirit
2010-08-20 09:04:28 UTC
Post by Giorgos Tzampanakis
Post by White Spirit
I bought my copy today. I like it very much. The only
thing I don't like about recent Maiden albums is the amount
of compression that is used in mixing and mastering. The
last three albums have sounded too 'squashed' and lacking in
dynamics. Their albums deserve better than that,
particularly the more atmospheric tracks.
You're right about Dance of Death, but the last two are not over-
compressed at all. Probably the opposite.
Compared to their early albums, I think they are. Dance of Death is
definitely worse, however, which is a shame because it has so much good
material.

Anyway, I still like the new album having listening to it every day. In
fact, I'm going to play it again now.
Yama
2010-08-20 18:28:44 UTC
White Spirit <***@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
: Compared to their early albums, I think they are. Dance of Death is
: definitely worse, however, which is a shame because it has so much good
: material.

One can only hope they will one day release a remastered version with less
shitty sounds. Oh, and a new cover picture...
White Spirit
2010-08-23 12:20:05 UTC
Post by Yama
: Compared to their early albums, I think they are. Dance of Death is
: definitely worse, however, which is a shame because it has so much good
: material.
One can only hope they will one day release a remastered version with less
shitty sounds. Oh, and a new cover picture...
Heheh, yes. I remember when the cover art was first revealed, people
were praying that it was the unfinished version. I used to see people
wearing the Dance of Death t-shirt and often wondered if that was the
last t-shirt left when they went shopping.