When the Wild Wind Blows
RICK scampiliano
2010-08-25 14:44:10 UTC
So, what does every one think of this song? It seems most people love
it.
Personally, it is my favorite psychedelic folk rock song of all time.
As far as Steve Harris epics go, though, I think it is a little weak.
The song just isn't overly dynamic and it simply has no climax. The
lyrics also seem a bit too vague and friendly to convey the full impact
of the (original)story. Maybe hearing this song in a different medium
might make a difference, but coming after 65 minutes of killer new
material, and following 4 awesome epics in their own rights, WTWWB is a
bit of a let down, IMO.
It's a good composition, none the less, and I think Steve created a
cool "head-space" with the vibe, but ultimately it is just too harmless
to be a Maiden classic.
Perry Johnson
2010-08-25 17:41:07 UTC
Post by RICK scampiliano
It's a good composition, none the less, and I think Steve created a
cool "head-space" with the vibe, but ultimately it is just too harmless
to be a Maiden classic.
By "Maiden classic" you probably mean songs in the 7-9 minute range
that appeared in previous albums. TFF already has plenty of those.
Maybe they figured they didn't need another one. Even without the song
at all, the album is 65 minutes long.
Yama
2010-08-25 21:21:19 UTC
RICK scampiliano <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: It's a good composition, none the less, and I think Steve created a
: cool "head-space" with the vibe, but ultimately it is just too harmless
: to be a Maiden classic.

I agree, it seems to lack...something. A climax, perhaps. Having said that,
I like it a lot and think it is one of the top tracks of the album.

It is also better and less formulaic than couple of the last Harris epics.
I mean, whatever you say about it, at least it does not have a chorus which goes

When the wild wind blows!
When the wild wind blows!
When the wild wind blows!
When the wild wind blows!

etc. You get the picture.

In fact on the entire album, only title track and
to lesser extent Starblind have annoying repetiveness.